Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Fantasy Sports

I have now officially fallen into the psychotic reams of people who are participating in Fantasy Sports. It started innocently enough with a begged request from a friend at Church who needed "just one more person to have an even number". As I started exploring just what I have signed myself up for I ran into an interesting example of what I posted about just the other day.

Hockey has always been my favorite sport. In part because the whole idea of Hockey has always been about the team to me. You can have one guy who is super awesome and he will be fun to watch but it takes a dedicated team to get the wins. As Ken Hitchcock used to say "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

And now... here I am looking at stats as the sole indicator of how good of a player someone is. Where I have always been an unabashed homer who cajoles the call guys for being biased if they say anything negative about my team... now I find myself looking at who is playing who and rooting for individuals so my "team" can win. Before my rules were clear... if they were wearing the wrong sweater they were evil and obviously a cheating fake, now things are more complicated. I used to be able to know they were evil by the Red Wing logo on their chest (until they left as a free agent and signed with our team at which point their sins were forgiven) but now I need to look and see if they are on my roster.

Ain't life fun? Sorry for this non-technical ramble of a post but I just found the whole thing particularly humorous given how quickly I find myself living contrary to my own post.

No comments: