Thursday, May 15, 2008

A time management observation

Have you ever noticed how critical decision meetings have a tendency to be scheduled at the end of the day? I have noticed this as a trend recently in several of the streams that I am working on.

My first thought was that this was due to the need to work through the day to get the information together in preparation for that meeting. Anecdotally (meaning stuff I have seen, done or messed up myself but may not be statistically significant to the world at large) this seems to be the case in 20-40% of the high criticality meetings that get scheduled. This leaves a gap of 60-80% that could happen at other times in the day.

At the end of the day you are tired. At least (anecdotally) I am since the day has been spent making decisions, digging into problems and hopefully doing real work. So my next thought was why do we push these important meetings to late in the day if we are actually going to be less well equipped to handle them?

The answer (or at least my version of it) came to me as I thought about the tasks list and task list management that I do. Each day I follow the process below.

  1. Review a list of tasks. I assign each one an A, B, or C. This roughly amounts to A - MUST DO, B - Good to do, C - No chance I am getting to this, I could schedule it forward now but then that would take time from getting to the A and B stuff.
  2. Assign a number to each task starting at 1 for each letter category. (Yes, I never even bother with C)

Now when I do this I can say A1 is more important and I should work on it first. Great! Only my human nature kicks in (chances are if you are reading this you have one of those as well. We tend to keep them in closets and they can get dusty but they do peak out at the worst of times) and suddenly I find myself drifting down the list to item A4 or (say it isn't so) a B1... because it's easier. My little human nature side lives for that little endorphin rush of the check mark so... hmmm... off I go.

With meetings I think we do the same thing. We schedule some simple meetings up front. Easy discussions, standing team meetings etc etc. Then we postpone some of those really important, hard meetings and conversations to later in the day.

So I am going to try to move my important meetings earlier. When I find myself setting up one of these meetings I will catch myself and ask the question "would this be better in the AM? Or now?"

Am I nuts? Is this just how business is supposed to work? Have you seen this? In a global economy with companies getting more global in audience as well as employee base these types of behaviors become not only self-pain inflicting but they don't even make sense given global time zones and the fact that the sunlight moves.

No comments: