Sunday, September 17, 2006

Mindsets must shift if we want successful SOA

In my next series of posts I will propose a series of mental shifts that must occur in order to allow effective SOA to become a reality. Each of these will be proposed in a From X to Y manner over the next several posts. Let me know with a comment if you if you think I am crazy or if these make sense.


From Connections = Cost to Connections = Value. For a long time we have had the mentality that additional connections drive cost. In an SOA environment this changes. The more connections we have the more valuable our overall solution becomes. (My informal polls tell me that this is the one that the most people struggle with switching).


This point can be seen in my earlier point on complexity being a math problem. The more and easier it is to connect the more viable business models, execution methods and doors open up. Coase Theorum has been hard for some to accept as meaningful for technology conversations because they struggle to see a connection as anything other than a cost. In the mainframe world where there was a limited number of connections this was obvious. Now that connections are as ubiquitous with the proliferation of the intenet and IP connectivity the equations have changed.


No comments: